Stay in touch with our latest adventures on the new Sawtooth Powder Blog

11 September 2010

First functioning circuit!

Sara and I continue to plug away on the electric and plumbing. Although it's been very challenging, based on bids we received, we figure we're saving $10k or more by doing it ourselves.

I have the main floor wiring almost complete and about a third of the basement. My parents are coming into town next Tuesday, and in order to get my Dad to help out with the house, I figured I better get the heaters working. He's a bit of a freeze baby after all those winters in Florida, and I'm not sure he'd enjoy working in the house when it's only 30 degrees.

We're installing six electric wall heaters. Our backup heat was a tough decision. Ideally we would have liked to use propane, but we didn't have much luck finding heaters that were economical or easy to install...too much venting or potential health hazards with the ventless ones. The wall heaters, although a bit noisier, heat up a room much faster than baseboards since they use a fan. It was a little frightening lighting up a 30A 240V circuit as my first, but so far no fires or any problems that I can identify.



Maddy hides in the basement among construction detritus while learning a thing or two about plumbing.



Lighting for the dining area (left) and the kitchen (right).



4000 watt wall heater with thermostat for the kitchen/living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment